Arbitration; Adjudication; Mediation; Negotiation; Expert Determination; Neutral Evaluation
FSIArb, FCIArb | Senior Accredited Specialist (Building & Construction), SAL
ADELPHI LAW CHAMBERS LLC
Tel: +65 6514 6791
Fax: +65 6514 6795
Direct: +65 6514 6792
Mobile: +65 9678 6388
◼ ◼ ◼
"Naresh is an experienced arbitrator who takes great pride in his work, and this comes through in his manner of conducting the arbitration. His reputation as a sound decision maker is well earned. His determinations are well thought through and carefully reasoned, which gives counsel and the clients confidence that parties will get a fair outcome in the arbitration. Naresh has a good understanding of international practices."
"Naresh Mahtani has an illustrious background as arbitrator and counsel since the 1990s. He is extremely hardworking, meticulous and leaves no stone unturned. He is also commercially-minded and always looking to position every arbitration towards a settlement on terms that are favourable to the client."
"Naresh is very experienced, knowledgeable and level-headed. He is very detailed and reads all of the documents in preparing for a matter."
"The founding partner, Mr Naresh Mahtani, is an experienced and specialist disputes practitioner with in-depth knowledge and experience especially in the areas of construction and oil and gas disputes. He is well respected as an arbitrator and is a fair and trusted pair of hands with specialist knowledge. I frequently consider him for appointments. As a counsel, he is similarly respected amongst his peers and is again seen as a fair opponent who fights a strong cause."
“Mr Naresh Mahtani is considered a senior statesman in terms of his experience in adjudicating and arbitrating construction and infrastructure dispute cases. I consider it a privilege to have shared the tribunal with him in the past.”
Chambers Insight Report, December 2021
Mr. NARESH MAHTANI, has been in active legal practice for over 35 years, in dispute resolution, international construction and oil & gas projects and commercial transactions, as counsel and advisor, as well as arbitrator, adjudicator and mediator in various institutional (including ICC, SIAC, AIAC and SMC) and ad hoc cases in Singapore and the region.
He was a founding partner (1994-1999) and later a practising consultant (2004 -2012) with ATMD Bird & Bird LLP and a partner with Eldan Law LLP (2013-2018), with an active practice in dispute resolution and construction projects.
His many roles and appointments in the dispute resolution community during the past few decades includes being Chairman of the Society of Construction Law, Singapore (2006 – 2008), Hon. Secretary and a Course Director of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (2010 - 2018), CEO of the Law Society of Singapore (1999-2001) and he is currently Chair of the Appeals Board of the Council Estate Agencies (CEA).
He is regularly appointed as Arbitrator in major domestic and international arbitrations, including those in the building & construction and oil & gas industries in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India and the region.
He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (FSIArb) and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), as well as an Arbitrator on the panel of arbitrators of various arbitral institutions. As an accredited Adjudicator with the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC), he has been appointed as adjudicator in substantial construction adjudications, as well as a mediator in various cases.
He is recognized as a Senior Accredited Specialist in Building & Construction by the Singapore Academy of Law.
He has written and presented many articles and papers on subjects concerning contracts, dispute resolution, construction law and the legal profession.
Naresh has been named as a Leading Lawyer in the field of Dispute Resolution in AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers (2004 and 2005 editions) as well as for Construction Practice in AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers (2005, 2006 and 2009 editions).
Naresh has also been named as a leading professional in the international Who’s Who Legal 2022 section on Construction.
Past Legal Career History
2013- 2018 - Partner, Eldan Law LLP
2005-2012 - Consultant, ATMD
2002-2005 - Director, Unilegal LLC
1999-2002 - CEO, Law Society of Singapore
1994-1999 - Partner of M/s Alban Tay Mahtani & de Silva (“ATMD”)
1985-1994 - Senior Associate/Partner at M/s Arthur Loke & Partners
1982-1985 - Legal Assistant at M/s Leo Fernando
Arbitration panels, community work and committees
- Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC), Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), Asia-Pacific Regional Grouping (APRAG) Panel of Arbitrators, the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Panel of Arbitrators of Pacific International Arbitration Centre, Vietnam (PIAC), Russian Arbitration Centre at the Russian Institute of Modern Arbitration (RIMA), Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb), Law Society of Singapore and on LCIA India Database of Neutrals
- Disputes & Compensation Resolution Panel of Singapore Wholesale Electricity Market
- Adjudication Panel of the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Panel (FIDREC)
- Accredited Adjudicator and Associate Mediator at Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC)
- Accredited Adjudicator at KLRCA
- Chair, Council of Estate Agencies (CEA) Appeal Board
- Hon Secretary, Course Director, Lecturer and Tutor, of Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (2010-2018)
- Chairman (2006-2008) of the Society of Construction Law, Singapore
- Legal Advisor to Committee on Expert Determination, as well as draftsman of Expert Determination Rules 2011, Singapore Institute of Architects
- Law Society of Singapore: Council Member of (1996 – 1998), Chief Executive Officer (1999-2000) and various roles in Law Society, including Chairman of Practice Management Committee (1994 – 1996), Vice-Chair of International Relations Committee (2011), volunteer lawyer and trainer with the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme, Investigating Tribunal Mediator and Mediator for Cost Disputes Scheme; Member of Inquiry Panel
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA): Council Member and Chairman of International Construction Projects Committee, Vice Chair of Dispute Resolution & Arbitration Committee (1996-2001)
Notable cases and projects
- Counsel in litigation and arbitration to international main contractor in their various disputes and arbitrations with the developer and sub-contractors relating to the construction of three major hotels and shopping complex in the Marina Centre project in Singapore (1985 -1995)
- Counsel to international main contractor in the construction of the Changi Airport Terminal 2 building in resolving disputes with owners, sub-contractors and consultants involved in the project, including litigation, arbitration and negotiations (1990)
- Counsel in litigation and arbitration for structural steel sub-contractors in disputes with main contractors in the Concourse building project (1992)
- Counsel to international main contractors in the construction of Suntec Convention Centre in Singapore in day-to-day problems with developers and subcontractors and on the requirements in the form of contracts used in the project (1990-1993)
- Counsel to construction company in a construction dispute involving several parties in connection with the alleged failure of design which caused failure of structural and piling works in the construction of building for the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation, and facilitating successful mediation and resolution of the disputes (1991-1993)
- Arbitration counsel to French owners of luxury motor-yacht in Italy against shipbuilders in Singapore in disputes concerning delays, defects and valuation of additional works (1994-1995)
- Counsel to major international pharmaceutical company in connection with setting up their plant in Singapore as well as acting for them in disputes and arbitrations in New Jersey with their contractors and engineers (1995)
- Counsel to major international computer disk-manufacturing company in disputes with their building contractors and architects in connection with defects in their plant in Singapore and attending to resolution of the disputes in California (1995-1998)
- Counsel to contractor in arbitration concerning dispute with developers in relation to construction of the Orchid Country Club golf course, and facilitating settlement of the case (1996-1998)
- Counsel to listed Engineering company in Singapore in connection with their disputes and arbitration with joint venture partner in connection with setting up a build, operate and own power plant in India (1998-1999)
- Counsel to major contractor in arbitration with developers relating to the construction of a resort in Indonesia and facilitating successful settlement of the disputes (1998)
- Counsel to major contractor in arbitrations relating to construction of the redeveloped KK Hospital in Singapore (1999)
- Advising international contractor in disputes with sub-contractors in MRT project in Singapore (2002-2003)
- Counsel to Architects in relation to design and construction issues in the construction of a building in the Singapore business district constructed by contractor under a design-and-build contract (2003-2004)
- Advising Operators of offshore oil & gas mining facility in Indonesia, and acting for them as counsel in international arbitration involving claims and counterclaims exceeding US$100 million at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) (2002-2005)
- Counsel to international engineering firm in an arbitration concerning a major facility in Brunei (2005-2008)
- Counsel to MCST council members in the High Court, Singapore in a case involving MCST Accounts (2008-2009)
- Counsel to US-based motorcar manufacturer on their US$50 million distributor agreement disputes with company in China (June 2009)
- Advising international design and interiors contractors in their claims and disputes with the employers and with sub-contractors in Marina Bay Sands conventions and commercial complex in Singapore (2010-2011)
- Advising and drafting project documents for an major international logistics company relating to setting up of their new green warehouse logistics facility in Jurong, Singapore (2011)
- Advising international Architects in connection with consultancy agreement with developers in new hotel and commercial complex in Singapore (2013)
- Counsel to oil and gas marine installation company on their contracts and disputes with operators in the region (2008-2013)
- Counsel in financial industry case (2014)
- Advisor to international manufacturer and distributor in competition law case (2015)
- Counsel in several medical negligence cases (2013-2016)
- Counsel and Advisor to an international sports organizer for various major international marathon and cycling events (2014-2016)
- Counsel for party engaged in litigation relating to confidential and proprietory documentation in High Court in Singapore (2014-2016)
- Advisor and counsel to international fire-protection and security company for construction claims in relation to major transportation facilities project (2015-2016)
- Counsel for solicitor in professional practice disciplinary proceedings (2015-2016)
- Counsel for oil & gas operator in international arbitration relating to claims for damages and production proceeds in relation to oilfield in Gulf of Thailand (2017-2018)
- Counsel to various parties engaged in construction industry and oil & gas industry disputes
- Advisor and counsel to various parties in disputes involving commercial, construction and civil claims as well as defences in criminal and statutory cases
- Advising developers and contractors on projects in India
- Various institutional (SIAC, AIAC and ICC) and ad-hoc appointments as Arbitrator, Adjudicator and Mediator for commercial and construction disputes in Singapore, India and the region