Civil and Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defence; Mediation
ADELPHI LAW CHAMBERS LLC
Tel: +65 6518 4070
Fax: +65 6514 6795
Direct: +65 6518 4071
Favian is a dispute resolution and criminal defence lawyer with an active practice. Favian is appointed by the Honourable the Chief Justice to the Inquiry Panel and is on the Supreme Court’s register of counsel as Lead Counsel for LASCO.
Favian is involved in a wide range of dispute resolution work (litigation, arbitration and mediation) in commercial disputes, shareholders’ disputes, employment disputes, intellectual property rights’ disputes, construction disputes, matrimonial disputes and probate disputes.
Favian acted for companies, directors and shareholders in a Singapore and China joint venture real estate project, the food and beverage industry, the real estate and construction industry, the financial services industry, the private healthcare and medical industry, the education industry and the insurance industry, in commercial, shareholders’, employment and intellectual property rights’ disputes.
These disputes involved claims such as minority oppression, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of confidence, breach of non-competition and non-solicitation clauses, conspiracy, misrepresentation, inducing breach of contract, passing off and trademark infringement.
Favian also represents clients in contentious companies’ winding up proceedings and in applications for schemes of arrangement. He also acts for construction companies in project disputes and in claims for defects by owners and MCSTs.
Favian defended many individuals in the High Court and State Courts charged with offences ranging from murder, drug importation, drug trafficking, rape, molest, rioting with deadly weapon, causing grievous hurt, criminal intimidation, road traffic and regulatory offences to syndicated vice offences such as prostitution, unlicensed moneylending and illegal gambling.
Favian regularly defends several individuals charged with white-collar crime offences such as cheating, criminal breach of trust, falsification of accounts, corruption, money laundering and offences under the Securities and Futures Act.
Favian’s experience in commercial and financial matters gives him an edge in defending clients charged with white-collar crime offences.
Favian defended individuals charged with white-collar crime offences arising from the Auditor-General's Office’s audit of government projects, corruption involving a foreign embassy official, corruption in the bunkering industry, and cheating and falsification of accounts in banking transactions.
In addition, Favian is a criminal defence lawyer who has a unique insight into all stages of the criminal justice system from the investigations stage to prosecution in Court to the post-conviction stage. As such, Favian is well-placed to guide clients through the entire process.
Transactional and advisory work
Favian advises clients in acquisitions and financing. His experience and background in dispute resolution give him an advantage in negotiating and drafting commercial agreements. Favian acted for a regional company in a successful funding round in which the company had a post-money valuation of more than $35 million.
As a former national athlete who represented Singapore in Muaythai in the Asian Championships and World Championships, Favian is a determined and tenacious individual who thrives in high stress environments and conflict situations.
Favian served as the General Secretary of the national sports association for Muaythai and served the legal commissions of the regional and international federations for Muaythai. He has experience in sports law, governance and regulation, event management, sponsorship and the World Anti-Doping Code.
Outside of legal practice, Favian continues to dabble in Muaythai.
Favian's experience includes the following cases, amongst others:
Notable cases and projects
- Acted for a Singapore company and its shareholders/directors in the Singapore High Court in a dispute over a China real estate project involving breach of directors’ duties, minority oppression and conspiracy.
- Acted for subsidiary proprietors against an MCST and its council members in the Singapore High Court in a dispute over the management of a commercial property.
- Acted for a Singapore company in the Singapore High Court in a franchise dispute involving infringement of intellectual property rights and breach of restrictive covenants.
- Acted for the shareholders of Singapore construction and property development company in the Singapore High Court in a minority oppression action.
- Acted for a Singapore F&B company and its shareholder and director in the Singapore High Court in a dispute over the intellectual property rights, confidential information and trade secrets and non-competition/solicitation clauses.
- Acted for a Singapore electrical engineering company in the Singapore High Court in a dispute over the construction of a condominium in Singapore.
- Acted for a Singapore mechanical engineering company and its senior executive in the Singapore High Court in a dispute involving breach of directors’ duties, breach of confidence and trade secrets, inducing breach of contract and conspiracy.
- Acted for an unsecured creditor in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal in opposing an application for a scheme of arrangement.
- Acted for a Singapore-China joint venture finance company and its directors in the Singapore High Court in a dispute involving breach of trust, breach of confidence, breach of employee’s duties and inducing breach of contract and conspiracy.
- Acted for a Singaporean high net worth individual in the Singapore High Court in a dispute involving misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- Acted for several doctors in the Singapore High Court in a shareholders’ dispute over a private medical clinic involving a successful application for winding up on the just and equitable ground.
- Acted for Singaporean high net worth individuals and owners in the Singapore High Court in a property dispute involving a plot of land comprising of several landed houses.
- Acted for and secured an acquittal for an accused person, charged with murdering his father, in the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acted for and secured an acquittal for an accused person, charged with attempted drug trafficking, in the Singapore Court of Appeal.
- Acted for and secured an acquittal for an accused person charged with causing hurt with a deadly weapon by stabbing his father.
- Acted for one of the accused persons, charged with murder, in the Singapore High Court in the “Rowell Road suitcase murder” case.
- Acted for one of the accused persons charged with rioting in the “Little India Riots” case.
- Acted for one of the accused persons charged with bribing an Indonesian Embassy official.
- Acted for an accused person, who was a director of a listed company, charged with offences under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Acted for an accused person charged with cheating and falsification of accounts in defrauding a bank of about $1 million.